With WP 8.1 rolling out, all eyes are now on the Update 1/GDR1 release which is supposed to bring even more improvements and customization, now a partial changelog has been revealed, showing some of the new features expected to come; they are:
- Support for 1280 x 800 WXGA resolution
- Diagonal screen sizes of 6.01″ to 7″ are now supported for the 1280 x 768 WXGA resolution
- 540 x 960 native qHD resolution is now supported in addition to the ability to scale from HD or WVGA resolution to qHD
- Diagonal screen sizes up to 6″ and on phones that use the MSM8x12 applications processor now support 540 x 960 qHD resolution
- Dual SIM – C + G radio type is now supported for dual SIM phones
- Bluetooth – PAN (personal area network) 1.0 profile, aptX codec support for A2DP, and browsing support for AVRCP are now supported
- Support for a Store live tile when the tile is medium-sized
- The size of the Store tile has been standardized for all layouts and some tiles have changed places on the Start screen.
- Support for folders.
- Enable a phone cover app to launch when the phone cover is closed and specify the default setting for the lock screen’s auto unlock setting.
- Cortana – Add a phone book entry for Cortana to allow users to initiate speech from a car that doesn’t have support for activating speech on the phone that is connected over Bluetooth.
- Network Time Protocol support – Automatically set the time, using an NTP client, in a Windows Phone device that doesn’t support NITZ or when cellular data is not available.
- Voice over LTE (VoLTE) support
- OEMs can implement a custom lock screen
- OEMs can preload the Files app
- Added a note that all Wi-Fi Sense settings must be on unless Microsoft executive approval has been granted for specific mobile operator requests
Most interesting for end-users should be the new phone cover settings (enable a phone cover app to launch when the phone cover is closed and specify the default setting for the lock screen’s auto unlock setting.), these features seem pretty cool; and might have a lot of uses (think of the Dot cover for the HTC One, or the Galaxy S5 covers that allow you to interact with the phone without opening the cover).
Over all some pretty cool features to look forward to, the basic requirements for WP 8.1 GDR1 devices have also been revealed, and can be found HERE.