After a long hiatus, Microsoft have finally rolled out a new build for the Windows 10 mobile beta, insider preview program. The latest build, 10356 brings a large number of much-needed bug fixes and stability updates. Mainly it addresses the issue where the start screen would fail to load on some device, rendering the phone mostly useless.
New in this build is the fact that the one-handed mode intended for large screen devices/phablets is now available to all screen sizes, from the smallest to the largest of them. Microsoft have also tweaked the new photos app, adding a folders view, that gives a quick glance/access to SD card folders, internal storage, as well OneDrive photos.
Microsoft have also enabled sending feedback directly to the build teams, through the Windows Feedback app. Hopefully this will help with future development of upcoming builds.
Of course the current build isn’t without its own set of bugs or issues, including:
- After rebooting your phone, you won’t see notifications, such as new messages, until you unlock your phone. After that, you should see notifications for new messages just fine.
- “zStorage” appears in the Settings app under System and clicking on it causes the Settings app to crash.
- Camera upload to OneDrive may not be enabled based on prior settings. To fix this, make sure you are running the latest version of OneDrive by opening the top left navigation bar, then settings on the right to verify that camera upload is turned on and you have the latest app (version 17.2).
- Insiders will not be able to move from Slow to Fast rings temporarily; we are working on a fix but in the interim to move a device from Slow to Fast you will need to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to first start on Windows Phone 8.1 and opt directly into the Fast ring.
- Additional languages for speech and keyboards won’t be available until tomorrow (9/15) and will error if you try to download. If you already have languages for speech and keyboards downloaded to your phone prior to upgrading, they will remain and available to use.
Have you updated to the latest build yet? If so what do you think of it?