To put it simply, vaping refers to the use of an e-cigarette. There are many different brands and models of e-cigarettes, or vaping pens, available and several look and feel like a traditional cigarette, which is part of their appeal. Each vaping pen contains a small, refillable chamber where the user inserts a liquid. These liquids can contain nicotine or other flavored liquids. The vaping pen then transforms the liquid into a vapor, allowing the user to take a “drag” off the vaping pen, just as a person would with a traditional cigarette.
What do you need to start?
To begin using a vaping pen, the user will have to purchase the pen itself, as well as the liquid to fill the pen. One of the attractive parts to vaping is the fully customizable experience the user is getting. Not only are there different styles and models of vaping pens available, but there are countless types, flavors, and strengths of liquid and nicotine available for purchase to fill it.
For beginners, choosing a vape starter kit may be the best choice as you can get everything you’ll need to get started in one purchase. There are multiple kits out on the market that all tailor to different needs, so take a good look at all of your options before deciding.
Are there any benefits?
Compared to traditional cigarettes, vaping is proving itself to have multiple benefits associated with it. Below, we have listed just a few.
- A great way to stop smoking: Vaping allows the user to customize their vaping experience so that they can control exactly how much nicotine he or she uses. This means that it is completely possible to scale down the amount of nicotine used each time, until the user is completely nicotine free.
- Safer: Each year, thousands of fires are attributed to a lighted cigarette. People can start a cigarette, fall asleep, and completely destroy their house with a fire. A vaping pen is completely flame less, so the potential risk of a fire is non-existent.
- No smoke: Because there is no flame involved with vaping, there is no smoke to worry about. This means not only is the user not having smoky smelling hands, hair and clothing, but those around the user do not have to worry about second hand smoke. With the complete lack of smoke, often vaping is acceptable in a public setting, where traditional cigarettes are starting to be completely phased out.
- No second-hand smoke: The second-hand smoke associated with traditional cigarettes is non-existent. Studies have shown that second hand smoke is just as dangerous to those around the smoker compared to the person actually smoking. With vaping, potential health risks to those nearby are removed.
- Cheaper: While the initial start-up costs associated with a vaping pen may be higher than a pack of traditional cigarettes, the refills for the pen are much cheaper than a pack of cigarettes. Over time, the vaping pen proves itself to be a very cost effective purchase.
But is it healthier?
Honestly, the verdict on the health aspects of vaping is still out. Most scientists agree that it is just too early to tell what the potential health risks are. There are some positive signs to vaping though. Some research studies have shown that vaping can be dangerous depending on the liquid chosen to fill the vaping pen with. Like traditional cigarettes, filling a vaping pen with nicotine based substances will leave the user with the same side effects as smoking. Nicotine, even vaped, will present itself with the same withdrawal and dependency symptoms.
Also, scientists worry that some chemicals used for flavoring in a vaping pen can be dangerous when inhaled. One scientist gives the example of the chemical used to create a buttery flavor, such as buttery popcorn. Across the board though, most scientists agree that using a vape pen is much healthier than smoking traditional cigarettes – even the worst critics of using vape pens would agree on this.
Overall, vaping can be seen as a much healthier and cheaper alternative to smoking cigarettes. If you aren’t a smoker and are thinking of taking it up, ensure you feel fully informed about everything it involves before you make a decision.